1898 Empress Theatre opened on Brighton Terrace, SW9
Designed by the theatre architectural firm Wylson & Long.
Seating for 580 in orchestra stalls, 240 in balcony and 440 in gallery & seats in the pit.
1931 Re-constructed adding another 500 seats.
Designed by Andrew Mather (1891-1938).
1957 Empress re-opened as Granada Cinema (see film)
Alterations by David E. Nye assisted by interior designer F. Mudd.
1992 Building demolished.
Site use: Pavilion Mansions housing.
1911 Palladium Picture Playhouse opened at 1 Town Hall Parade.
Designed by Gilbert W. Booth with 1,200 seats.
1956 Palladium rebuilt as the Regal.
Seating increased to 1,156 seats (876 in the stalls and 278 in the balcony).
1963 Regal became ABC Brixton.
1977 ABC became Ace.
1981 Ace closed.
1985 Re-opened as the Fridge nightclub by Andy & Sue.
2013 The Electric nightclub.
1911 Brixton Cinematograph Theatre at 101-3 Brixton Hill, SW2 1AA with 963 seats.
192? Became New Royalty Kinema
1950 Became Clifton cinema
195? Became Scala cinema
1957 Closed as a cinema
Building use: camping shop a restaurant, church.
1929 Brixton Astoria opened on Stockwell Road with 2,982 seats.
Designed by Thomas Retford Somerford (1881-1948) & Edward Albert Stone.
1939 Became Odeon Astoria.
1972 Closed as a cinema.
Sundown rock venue.
1973 Sundown closed.
1981 Re-opened as The Fair Deal.
1982 The Clash played there.
1983 Renamed Brixton Academy by Simon Parkes. Became a top London music venue.
1986 Last gig by The Smiths.
Book: Live at the Brixton Academy - Simon Parkes (Serpent's Tail 2014)